The demand for more business applications, the development of AI technologies, and higher expectations are putting tremendous pressure on IT leaders. Therefore, it’s not surprising that about 70% of digital transformations fail.
The value proposition of disruptive low-code technology gives companies the flexibility and agility to adapt to the fast-changing industry reality while accelerating the time-to-market of new applications to keep up with or change markets.
What Is a Low-Code Platform?
In recent years, low-code development has become increasingly popular, enabling developers to write less code and instead focus on the objective. The low-code platform enables quick generation and delivery of business applications with minimum effort to write in a coding language and requires the least possible effort for the installation and configuration of environments, setup and implementation.
A low-code platform is a set of tools for programmers and non-programmers. Low-code enables fast delivery of applications with minimum effort to write in a coding language and requires the least possible effort for the installation and configuration of environments, and training and implementation.
Develop Applications With Low-Code Platforms
Application platforms manage the life cycle of an application or application components, and ensure the availability, reliability, scalability, security and monitoring.
A low-code application platform is an application platform that supports rapid application development, one-step deployment, execution and management. They allow the development of user interfaces, business logic and data services. Overall, they improve productivity at the expense of portability across vendors, as compared with conventional application platforms.
Low-Code Is the Future of Software Development
The idea of low-code was introduced in 2011. The concept of low-code is considered to be a novel and cutting-edge concept in the field of programming. Hence, development platforms that reduce code and automate development tasks for developers have recently started to become widely adopted.
The need for software development during the global coronavirus crisis has driven growth in demand for low-code/no-coding development platforms. The worldwide low-code development technologies market is projected to total $13.8 billion in 2021.
According to Gartner, by 2024, low-code application development will be responsible for more than 65% of the total application development activity.
Why do businesses need low code?
Digital Business Transformation Drives Application Delivery
As the technological landscape evolves quickly, the demand of businesses to adopt technological solutions and AI technology is growing fast. Complex software such as AI systems involve large amounts of code and different frameworks and the Internet of Things.
The wide range of complex technologies stretches the ability of a single individual to fully understand every technical aspect. Software must be delivered quickly, efficiently and securely while upholding high quality standards.
Increasing Demand for Machine Learning Specialists
Consequently, this leads to a higher demand for specialized skills and talents within the tech industry. Businesses across industries need access to IT professionals with skill sets in different development categories.
According to Gartner, by 2021, the demand for information systems will increase five times faster than the ability to provide them by IT departments, because the number of employees is not growing at a sufficient pace. Also, modern IT solutions are not based on standard systems as businesses are increasingly using customized solutions.
Low-Code Drastically Accelerates Software Development
The emergence of low-code platforms offers ways to address those problems. Low–code platforms provide companies with the ability to significantly speed up the application delivery, reduce the number of experts needed and increase the scalability of IT systems.
This can be achieved by substantially reducing the amount of code needed by breaking down essential functionality into reusable components that quickly can be put together and reshaped.
Advantages of Low-Code Versus Traditional Development
Low–code platforms are able to significantly change the development landscape in terms of, time to market, scope, development, maintenance, integration, and deployment, compared to traditional development. The key differences of traditional vs. low-code development are:
- Time to market. Traditional development relies on manual coding, is slow to launch and slow to change. Low-code development uses drag and drop design, pre-built components and is quick to launch.
- Scope. Traditionally, applications are planned and developed as large, complex projects. Low-code allows building multiple, typically rather small and independent solutions.
- Development. Traditional development is difficult to align to business demands and has slow turnaround times. Low-code development allows up to 5x quicker building, efficient testing and higher ROI.
- Maintenance. Common development cycles require additional development and involves expensive support. Low-code development enables easy and quick updating or extending of the solution. This makes it excellent for prototyping.
- Integration. Traditionally, software integrations are time and investment intensive. Developers and documentation is required, as well as extensive testing phases. Low-code development offer pre-built connectors, live debugging and creating web services with no coding.
- Deployment. Usually, software deployment is slow and complex, it requires multiple steps and development resources. Low code development offers one-touch deployment and deploying to multiple environments – a single click is all it takes to send an application to production.
- Low-risk/high ROI. With low-code, robust security measures, data integration, and cross-platform support are already built-in and can be easily customized. This means less risk and more time to focus on the business.
Using Low-Code Platforms for AI Development
Low-Code AI Platform
AI based software and applications have the potential to disrupt business across industries. Therefore, businesses have to keep pace with the trend of technology evolving at fast pace. However, Artificial Intelligence is a narrow high-tech niche of software engineering, requiring in-depth knowledge of coding and technology. Hence, AI development is traditionally associated with advanced software engineering skills and significant development experience.
The transformative potential of low-code AI development is evident. Low-code AI is a game-changer in artificial intelligence drastically simplifying regular application development tasks and bringing software development closer to users, making it accessible to a wide range of businesses.
The benefits of businesses using such low-code platforms for AI development benefit from massive cost cut on development, quicker time-to-market for their software, better product scalability and a seamless and intuitive user experience.
Low-code / no-code machine learning platforms allow non-AI experts to build AI solutions using simple visual interfaces or drag-and-drop menus. Such platforms are based on graphical user interface in designing the application and visual programming as opposed to hard-coded programming techniques.
Low-Code vs. No-Code AI
As their names suggest, low-code AI development still requires some minimal input of programming effort from the user. No-code software, in turn, does not require programming at all, allowing even users with zero programming experience to tailor the AI applications to their needs with the use of simple building blocks.
How Can Low-Code AI Benefit AI Experts and Researchers?
Low-code and no-code AI platforms make AI technologies more accessible to people, without the need for hiring an AI developer full time. However, low-code platforms also offer great potential for AI developers and researchers to speed up their projects.
Hence, low-code AI platforms allow for rapid deployment of different versions and simplify benchmarking. Especially, the ability to add custom software or AI models and integration of third-party software enable much shorter development cycles.
Therefore, low code programming of AI applications enables programmers and researchers to spend less time on repetitive coding tasks and to put more emphasis on the functionality of the application.
Low-Code AI Platform for Computer Vision
A low-code platform for automating computer vision applications is a difficult and demanding challenge that is driven by many research and technological problems. The latest AI low-code platform, designed specifically for computer vision, is powered by the Swiss tech company viso.ai.
Viso’s technology is worth mentioning because it is probably instructive of where the entire AI vision software-space may be headed. Today, viso.ai has been known as a leader in AI vision software to create custom computer vision and deep learning applications that process video feeds of numerous cameras in real-time with deployed AI algorithms. To achieve this, the company integrates numerous state-of-the-art computer vision techniques and algorithms out of the box.
Because the platform works by essentially fine-tuning pre-trained AI algorithms and connecting pre-built modules in a visual editor, it becomes possible to create a custom AI vision solution quickly. The platform is designed for fast and automated continuous optimization of AI applications to achieve progressively better results.
The low-code AI vision platform of viso.ai allows building applications for multiple computing platforms simultaneously, adopt state-of-the-art hardware rapidly and show stakeholders working examples in days, or even hours. The high speed of development minimizes the time-to-market and maximizes business value of AI solutions.
How Does Low-Code Computer Vision Work?
Low-code AI enables people with limited coding knowledge to create AI systems. Thus, also non-technical experts can quickly compile the needed software application with visual building blocks. Most low-code AI platforms include the following elements:
- Graphical User Interface. An intuitive Graphical User Interface (GUI) with clear visual elements that is understandable even to non-specialists, allows easy construction of AI vision applications.
- Pre-Built Integrations. For the created AI vision application to work with visual input of cameras and pre-trained AI models, ready to use building-blocks are offered to the user. The Low-code AI platform provider ensures secure data storage and communication.
- Application Manager. Creating an application with a low-code AI platform is only the beginning of the software development process. For the application to work well, it needs to be maintained and updated correctly. The platform commonly offers tools and support to eliminate bugs, and improve the applications functionality and performance.
Low-code AI solutions help businesses to significantly reduce the time to market of AI solutions, allow significant cost savings on hiring software engineers, and offer the speed, simplicity, and flexibility of ready-made software solutions.
Learn more about related topics: